back home

September 21, 2005

Why Move When You Can Burn It Down?

I'm a huge moron! Let's just get that out in the open.

As soon as I got home today, I lit all my candles. I have 4 candles in the bathroom that I only light occasionally. Tonight I did. After the place was smelling pretty, I blew out all the candles.

I had a friend over and we were watching a movie. All of a sudden, my smoke alarm goes off. I'm looking around and none of my candles are lit, I go to turn the alarm off, which is next to my bathroom and see a HUGE FLAME from the back of my toilet!!

"Oh shit!!" I'm yelling trying to blow it out while keeping my hair back. He comes in with a glass of water and tosses it on the fire.

It goes out.

There's wax all over my floor and toilet.

The problem? (other than that I am a moron?)

The candles had little leaf like string around each one for decoration. Damn forestry around my candles!

What were they sitting in? A wooden candle holder.

I'm such a moron! When I have burned these in the past, I have always been sure to not leave them burning long. I had forgotten all about them this time!

Meanwhile, my friend is trying to get the smoke detector to shut up. He's opening the front door, turning on the fan, waving a towel in front of it. I'm glad he was here as I hate messing with stupid smoke detectors!

I thought I would share a picture of the mess...

I can pull the back toilet cover up with the candle holder as it is now stuck to it!

It looks like someone puked in my bathroom!

I'm such a mess.....domestic I am not!


Now that I think about it, I've had a few issues with fire in the past. Two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Look for more fire stories in the near future!

Posted by Sissy at September 21, 2005 10:36 PM | TrackBack

don't worry. Most of that will come off with a razor blade, judiciously and carefully applied.

who'd-a thought they have so much wax

Posted by: caltechgirl at September 21, 2005 10:46 PM

Ha! Like I'm trusted with a razor!

Just await the post that says "Caltechgirl told me to do it!"


Posted by: Sissy at September 21, 2005 10:55 PM

Do you have a steamer? If so just use that an it will soften the wax and Voila! If not - get a rag towel you don't want anymore and use your iron. You *Do* have an iron, right? (lol - sorry couldn't resist).

Don't worry it'll clean up without you hurting yourself or anyone else. Trust me - you'd be amazed at some of the situations I've gotten myself into with the candles!

Posted by: Tammi at September 22, 2005 08:13 AM

That doesn't look like vomit. From the picture it looks like a scene from a movie where someone was killed in a bathroom... blood everywhere!

Posted by: Contagion at September 22, 2005 08:50 AM

I suggest you invest ina small fire extinquisher!

Posted by: Susan at September 22, 2005 10:30 AM

What I want to know is, who was the gentleman caller?? And what movie were you watchin'.

Posted by: spurs at September 22, 2005 11:42 AM

I agree... it looks like a blood bath in there.

And I'm with spurs, my first thought was "Oh. Who was this guy? What movie?"

Posted by: Bou at September 22, 2005 09:02 PM

If you glance at the pic just right and out of the corner of your eye, the candle lighter looks like a gun and the was looks like blood! OMG!

Posted by: Amy at September 23, 2005 10:39 PM

I must agree with Bou on this, looks like a bloody mess, but the candles are a great story and alibi....

Posted by: ArmyWifeToddlerMom at September 23, 2005 11:04 PM

Wax messes are the worst for clean-up.

You have my sympathy.

Posted by: Harvey at September 24, 2005 12:29 AM