back home

August 11, 2005

A DAY of Travel

I didn't sleep well last night. I went to bed around 10pm, but kept dreaming that I was having issues at the airport and that they wouldn't let me on the plane with Kiki.

At 2:30am it was time to get up, get dressed and go! My plane wasn't scheduled to depart from ATL until 9:15am. I wanted to get there early in case there were any issues or hold up in security and was concerned with all the luggage I would be carrying. Well, what was supposed to be a 4 hour and 15 min drive ended up being a 3 hour drive. I dragged my huge 50lb suitcase with 2 weeks worth of clothes and stuff, my laptop bag, and Kiki, to the shuttle where I attempted to heft everything onto the shuttle. I hauled all these things to check in, and was on my way. I was relieved to drop off my suitcase and only have Kiki and my laptop bag. However, her litle 8lb self does get heavy after a while!.

I was checked in, through security and at my gate by 6:50. So, I attempted to sleep in the chairs. I got probably a good 20-30 min worth of sleep, got some breakfast, and just chilled.

I was concerend because the flight was booked. They had a lot of people on standby. But good ole Delta just brought in a bigger plane! Which was good for me 'cause they let me have 3 seats to myself in the back with Kiki! Yeah!!

I got to the Kansas City Airport at about 10:30. I went to baggage claim to pick up my 50lb suitcase while dragging my laptop bag and carrying Kiki. All I want to do is go check in with my next airline so I can go outside and let Kiki go potty. I see a sign that says ticketing this way, and I follow it. I got all the way to the end, and never saw Continental. I look at the map that reminds me that KC has 3 terminals that are not connected and do not have a train to take you to them. But there was a bus. I dragged my stuff outside, hefted everything onto the bus where I was taken to the correct terminal. At that time, I drag everything back in the airport into ticketing. I check in fine but I am selected for a bag search. No big deal...I'm cool with's only 11:00am. I just find it funny that out of all people, they choose the one with 2 weeks worth of crap!

On a side note, the lady would take thsi white pad and wipe some of my stuff with it and then put it in a machine that would beep at her. Does anyone know what that is?

Anyway, her and I had a nice little conversation as she had to ask me about every book, CD or cute top I had in there. I don't think she realized that I had been up since 2:30am.

Yeah! Got rid of that bag! Now it's time to take Kiki outside. We go outside, still with the laptop bag and her, to put her on a leash to go potty in the woodchips and bushes. We played out in the warm sun for a little while. She hated getting back in her kennel. She hates this thing...and I can't say that I blame her.

I knew she needed to eat and definitely needed water! So, I went to one of the shops and purchased a bag of Doritos, a bottle of water and a shot glass. I gave her a couple of chips, just to hold her over until we get to Phoenix. Then I would pour water into the shot glass and put it in her kennel for her to drink. It's the only thing I could think of.

One of the cool things about Kansas City is there isn't just one security checkpoint. Every 3-4 gates has it's own security checkpoint. No huge lines!!

As I enter the security checkpoint, 2 1/2 hours before my flight, I am chosen to be searched. (I believe the last time I was in KC I was searched too).

They went through all my things again, patted Kiki down, made me put her back in her kennel and then proceeded to molest me. As I get to the end where they give me their seal of approval, I make a wise crack about being the lucky winner! He laughs and says, "Just don't leave or you'll be the lucky winner again". Yes people, you have to leave your "gate area" to get to the bathroom, outside, or to any shops. Yes, I put my water away...I will not be needing that!

And this is where we are now. It's 1:30, my plane doesn't leave for Houston until 2:25. I will not be in Phoenix until 6:30 their time (9:30 my time).

I was thinking about having a drink on the plane. I think I need it. But, I don't have cash on me. I could go to the ATM to get cash, but that would mean I'd have to go through security again. No thank you!

So, cross your fingers that the rest of the day goes smooth. Really, the whole day has gone exceptionally's just funny the circumstances I run into!

Posted by Sissy at August 11, 2005 02:34 PM | TrackBack

Now I remember why I don't like airports :-)

Posted by: Harvey at August 11, 2005 04:08 PM

I feel your pain Sissy. I start my jaunt bright and early in the AM.
They are swabbing to detect residue particals of ballistic material(bomb shit) and drugs.
See you in Columbia.

Posted by: spurs at August 11, 2005 06:28 PM

I hate travel. Especially days when you're doing nothing but traveling, and you have to be awake longer than you want to.

I feel for you, Sissy. Here's hoping your plane's on time, you're on the ground now and on your way to relax with your family. You and Kiki need a break!

Posted by: songstress7 at August 11, 2005 09:37 PM

I asked the people at the KC airport why they do that, apparently that little white pad and stuff will pick up bad substances in your luggage, who knew?

Posted by: Oddybobo at August 12, 2005 01:52 PM

Like I told you on the phone yesterday. You need to write a book on weird shit that happens when travelling. It seems like no matter where you go something funny or weird always happens to you :) Good luck on your travels!

Posted by: Napster at August 12, 2005 04:57 PM

Gee! A 16-hour day? Personal indignities and oh-so-*cough*-"trustworthy" baggage handlers and barely-GED—capable TSA employees who'd flunk out a test as garbage collectors?

I'd rather drive it...

But to each his or her own...

"May the road rise to meet you... "

Posted by: David at August 12, 2005 09:23 PM

I'm just impressed that Delta got a bigger plane... and you got to take the dog in the cabin. That's terrific. Even if your day was hellishly long.

Posted by: Jody Halsted at August 12, 2005 10:33 PM

I am tired just reading this post!!!!

Posted by: Amy at August 15, 2005 11:01 PM