back home

May 21, 2006

An Eventful Day

I had to call the police twice yesterday while at work.

As I drove up to the back of my store, I noticed the driver's side rear window was busted. There was glass all around the outside of the car and inside on the seat.

I went inside to let the employee know. We were able to narrow down the time it happened, within a 45 minute time frame. She noticed a bag of tool worth about $700 were stolen. So, I called the police to come check it out. This is the 4th vehicle break-in in the past year. So from now on, no parking or hanging out in the back.

Then, as I was walking out to my car for lunch, an elderly lady ran into the store asking us to call 911 as another lady locked her baby in her truck. So I ran out there while calling the police, who is now programmed in my phone due to all the bad customers in the past. This lady had a huge Yukon Denali. She was leaning against the windows to see inside, where there was a 2 year old little girl sipping on her water cup. Did I mention it was 104 degrees outside?While I'm talking to the dispatch, they ask how long the kid has been in there and I ask the lady, and she replies about 4 minutes. While waiting, I'm trying the comfort the lady. After a couple of minutes, I realized she didn't understand a word I was saying as she didn't understand English. The police arrived quickly. The police officer was trying to ask her if she had On-Star after noticing the antenna on the truck. She wasn't understanding that. I ran into my store to get a translator. In the 30 seconds I was gone, another police car, 2 fire trucks and an ambulance were there. While the police officer was on the phone trying to get to On-Star while the firemen started taping up a window and trying to wedge something between the door and the frame while tons of other rescue people were looking into the window to see if the baby was okay.

The firemen told the police officer he had 60 seconds to get On-Star to pop the locks or they were breaking the window. Meanwhile, the lady is crying and not understanding one bit what is going on. Then the doors were unlocked. Every door was opened by a rescue person and the baby was removed.

I hope and pray that the lady seriously just stepped out of her truck and shut the door before getting the baby instead of leaving her in there while going inside the store. The baby was smart, sipping on her water. I can't sit in my truck with no air for 5 minutes...I couldn't imagine being the kid!

Posted by Sissy at May 21, 2006 01:26 AM | TrackBack

Scary stuff. Glad to hear it was you helping and not you being a part of it... vw bug

Posted by: at May 22, 2006 09:29 AM

There's a REASON that I normally carry a spare set of car keys when I go out.

Posted by: Harvey at May 23, 2006 06:56 AM

Holy crap - how scary is that - I've seen way too many stories about people leaving their kids in the backseat and parking and going to work - forgetting that they had the baby in the back because it wasn't their day to take the kid to daycare - scary, scary stuff...

Posted by: Napster at May 23, 2006 09:52 AM